Current time: 08-11-2022, 04:35 PM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Picasso

E-series Curado/Chronarch ticking sound

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My two year old Chronarch 200E7 started making an annoying ticking sound on retrieve, similar to when you have a loop of line rubbing.

After disassembling and reassembling a few times to no avail I discovered that the reel didn't make the ticking sound when held upside down. Aha! The anti-reverse pawl was the culprit.

[Image: S6qcLvob.jpg]

The anti-reverse pawl (it fits into the teeth on the anti-reverse washer) is a backup for the anti-reverse bearing and unless the bearing fails never sees any action.

Googling suggested two remedies: play with the tensioning springs designed to hold the pawl away from the anti-reverse washer or remove the pawl.

The general consensus was that anti-reverse bearing failure for a reel that never sees fish heavier than a bass is unlikely. My reels never do double-duty for sea-fishing so I removed the pawl.

What a difference! The reel is super-smooth and surgery for all my other Curados is scheduled for this winter.

It should be noted that the new Curado I and Cores do not come with anti-reverse pawls so Shimano is confident that their AR-bearings are up to the task.
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
Now that's the most interesting and useful tip for ages! Thanks Toadee. I wouldn't dare take that chance on the Quantums.......
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Toadee...you may be in for an unpleasant surprise if you remove that pawl.The pawl is there to take that anti reverse shock when you strike on a fish or try to pull a lodged weight from the rocks..the anti reverse roller bearing will very soon become less effective if you subject it to those high impact situations.You will also find that gradually,you are not getting a decent hook set on fish because the anti reverse bearing is getting worn out, and your days will be ending far sooner than you want...but then again,you want to have Malema type fishing hours.To solve that ticking noise,you have to squeeze the two clamping plates of spring steel very slightly so they grip that anti reverse washer.that pawl should grip onto the washer and not fall off.The reason for the ticking is the spring steel that clamps onto that washer is too loose.
Another thing,chech that you replace that anti reverse washer so that the pawl reverses into the upright sharp side of the blocks...you may notice (if yours has it) that the other side of the 'block' is radiused and is designed like so for the the pawl to 'ride over' easier.
Life is not about the number of breaths we make,but the moments that take our breath away.
Riprap Wrote:I wouldn't dare take that chance on the Quantums.......
:blue-rolleyes:
Regards Robert Jacobs
LOL.... I Just send my Quantum Smoke of for repairs.... Anti reverse faulty...
Smurf's reply had me justifiably worried so I double-checked the info I had gathered and also had a look at the schematics for the Curado 200E7, Core 100MG7 and New Curado 200I.

All three reels use the same roller clutch bearing (part no. BNT3910) but only the Curado 200E has an anti-reverse pawl.

I'm thus confident that the roller bearing is up to the task so I'll take a chance and leave the pawl I removed in the parts drawer. I'll report back over the next few months if performance of the reel begins to degrade.

Removing the pawl might not be the best idea on reels that have their drags tightened all the way down (serious flippers using heavy braid sometimes like to do this) because as Smurf points out the shock of a strike will be taken by the ARB in its entirety.
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
Pulling your chain Nav, however, I have never replaced a one way bearing on a shimano but have done many times on the older quantums!
It would be interesting to see the advancement and comparisons of modern one way beaings vs those of old and why engineers would be so confident to exclude the anti reverse pawl? Emjaysmit - where you boet?
I've had the same problem before on one of my curado 200e7's. Spent days worrying about the problem. The best fix i found was just to reorder the anti reverse pawl from Shimano (sometimes the thin metal gets bent and almost impossible to bend into the right shape again), they have most parts in stock (VMC rapala) so is usually pretty quick, if you just order it from somebody who sells Shimano. If I remember correctly it cost about R50. One of my favourite things about Shimano is the availablity of parts in SA, I've changed handles, screws, etc etc, doesn't break the bank, and reels are as they are out of the box...
[Image: SignatureSmallBFSA_zps89bcf1e2.png]
Riprap Wrote:Pulling your chain Nav, however, I have never replaced a one way bearing on a shimano but have done many times on the older quantums!
It would be interesting to see the advancement and comparisons of modern one way beaings vs those of old and why engineers would be so confident to exclude the anti reverse pawl? Emjaysmit - where you boet?

Not worries Rip...never changed any on my PT Tours or KVD Tours yet... :blue-wink:
Regards Robert Jacobs
Anyone know how I can get hold of RapalaVMC via email?

Gmail tells me that the mail I keep sending keeps failing to go through. I have the EXACT same problem with my Chronarch D5. I've contacted DQ from Rapala a couple times, but he seems to keep forgetting to check up for me...
[Image: outdoors_zps5be0abce.gif]
Open up the reel and either remove the pawl or bend the pawl arms inwards carefully until they make contact with the anti-reverse washer (red triangle in image).

You can also apply a very light smear of reel grease to the outer half of the washer to help the pawl 'float' (blue circle in image). There's usually a blob or two of grease lying in the reel that has spun off the gears that you can use.

[Image: T7l0D5M.png]
I have tried the extra grease and clamping/opening the 2 plates when I went to Smurf's place for help, neither worked. Haven't tried removing it. Would rather order a new one.

What's really frustrating is I don't get a response from representatives of RapalaVMC.
Okes, then we must have the best Rapala rep here in the Eastern Cape. Feel free to contact Andrew on <!-- e --><a href="mailto:andrew.pautz@gmail.com">andrew.pautz@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->
Thanks so much, Rip.
Did you come right with Andrew JM?