Current time: 09-18-2021, 09:46 AM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Picasso

Winter Blues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crikey,the winter jumped on us there...one minute we are still enjoying the sunny conditions at Clanwilliam (although freezing in the mornings !) and now we have this blizzard bringing some welcome rain and snow...a week of this and Clan is full ...but what to do over the next two months when the weather puts you indoors...sharpen hooks...there are only so many you can do,twice !Oil the reels,make a 50kg batch of biltong...done that,but I fear it may go quickly as there are two huge mice in my house in the form of teenage students.. :blue-sad: I thought I would take the motor and jackplate off my boat,strip off all the electrics and pumps and recarpet with foam underlay (help here for the right stuff Plasticman..),rewire(with isolator switches/DC breakers)the entire boat so the back does not resemble a bowl of spaghetti,recover the seats and make a glassfibre centre consol that will fit between the two seats...with two cupholders for the drinks.All this to be done before the Winter Classic at Clanwillian on 25 August... :blue-cool:
Life is not about the number of breaths we make,but the moments that take our breath away.
This is why I live in KZN… while it does get a little nippy we fish ALL year round even when it’s zero degrees at Albert Falls!
Regards Rob
Vice President SABAA Natal
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/SABAANatal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.facebook.com/SABAANatal</a><!-- m -->
rob you guys are fortunate that way. Atleast in summer when you guys have to fish in the rain we fishning nice and dry....and we have smallies (yes i know you do too but not like here)

A little bad weather will never allow me to move far from the smallie mecca of this country...
Life is not about the number of breaths we make,but the moments that take our breath away.
I Just Hope we get enough Bad weather to Flood our Dams this season, the problem down here is the rain is normally accompanied by a howling gale which makes fishing of any kind unpleasent even if you have an aircraftcarrier to fish from.

Cheers

Nutt
Lots to do this winter in prep for summer, I need it! :blue-rolleyes:
[Image: Dreamfish.jpg]
Winter Months is a great time to research new tackle look at what’s new in the world of fishing and what’s not available in SA and get your hands on it, build up your stock reevaluate your season where your weak points were and think of ways to rectify it. Also upgrade rods and reels; this is the perfect time to save money as we are not forking out so much on entry fees, fuel and accommodation.

I have a pool at home so I spend many ours perfecting, fine tuning and trying new combinations and designing new rigs, rate of fall, swimming action etc (when we not drowning or getting blown away)

I recently tested some baits in the pool that have produced well for me in the past season and I was amazed at the different actions and why these baits/rigs worked so well, also changing up on different plastics to look at different actions. And then looking at rigs/baits that did not perform well, fine tuning and adjusting them so they hopefully produce better results.

Also reel maintenance like Smurf mentioned and stocking up on good line for the season ahead. Deciding on what new techniques you want to try or improve on to make you a better angler, I have decided I need to spend more time on perfecting my cranking and spinner bait fishing; I have invested in good jerk bait, lipless and big crank rod. In the off time and during leisure fishing hours I shall be fine tuning these techniques and the perfect time to get the necessary equipment is during winter months and on fair weather days get on the water and try these new techniques baits/rigs and practice.

If all else fails I have an X Box with fishing games.
[Image: SignatureSmallBFSA_zps89bcf1e2.png]
Nice one Roy! I bet you get some strange looks from your neighbours!!! :blue-biggrin:
dreamfish Wrote:Nice one Roy! I bet you get some strange looks from your neighbours!!! :blue-biggrin:

Actually from everyone and they shout :“Hey!!!! How many you catch?" and my reply is of course " only 1!!!"
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`•¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.•´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
[Image: SignatureSmallBFSA_zps89bcf1e2.png]
:blue-lol: :blue-lol: :blue-lol:
Frogstar Wrote:and we have smallies (yes i know you do too but not like here)

We don't really have smallies... a few in stinking Criagieburn but nothing like fishing in Kwaggas! OMG I miss that dam!
Regards Rob
Vice President SABAA Natal
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/SABAANatal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.facebook.com/SABAANatal</a><!-- m -->
Quote:We don't really have smallies... a few in stinking Criagieburn but nothing like fishing in Kwaggas! OMG I miss that dam!

And that is why I live here...for two months in the year I am forced to stay home in front of the log fire,sipping red wine,building up the winter fat with Clanwilliam lamb chops,sharpening those hooks AGAIN and pitching a hookless crank down the passage so the jack russel can pounce on it like an almighty worm bite...oh,and I make the meanest Dutch apple pie in winter...toasting the socked feet at the fire,watching the Springbulls doing their thing and apple pie with custard Big Grin ..dreaming about those fat smallies in August...
Hells bells (sorry bergie), Smurf, you should be selling lifestyles for a living!!
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Only in the Cape...you can get to the beach with a tub of wings and some frosty ales,chill as the sun sets at 9:00 at night,watch the surfer babes,get to the V & A Waterfront,fish'n'chips at the Boat Club,check the commercials come in,buy a vars snoek for the fire with some of Gilbey's finest.But then you are reminded every so often you have another life...the missus gets a bit arty farty and drags you kicking and screaming to a Stellenbosch Slow Market,eat smoked bits of some animal or some odd bit of raw fish that still blinks at you as you lift it to your mouth,wash it down with 'Spring Water'...bottled at source,my jack,tastes like what comes out my home tap !And a healthy helping of Jack would do wonders for that nothing taste !But,like we all know...smile and wave,smile and wave..Then you have to bolt home at pace to relieve yourself of that almost alive lunch that was so eloquently consumed with my better half's friends...and it seems like it is fighting to move from the bowel..and you have to ,yet AGAIN,sit through the process of knowing your last meal,and no amount of Glade deadens the aromatic monster...but no worries,pull out the duck and pop down to Strand and bag a few crayfish...pot of salty water and glass of white wine with fresh crayfish...that Slow Market is beginning to fade from memory already...only in the Cape. :blue-biggrin:

Well said...exactly the reason why Gautengeleng won't see me in a hurry again :blue-biggrin:
Stop boet...pleeeease stop or otherwise there will be a mass exodus to Van Riebeeckville... :blue-sad: :blue-sad: :blue-sad:
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....