The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? - Line: 613 - File: inc/plugins/myadvertisements.php PHP 7.4.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 233 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once
Warning [2] "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? - Line: 654 - File: inc/plugins/myadvertisements.php PHP 7.4.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? - Line: 701 - File: inc/plugins/myadvertisements.php PHP 7.4.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? - Line: 749 - File: inc/plugins/myadvertisements.php PHP 7.4.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? - Line: 801 - File: inc/plugins/myadvertisements.php PHP 7.4.18 (Linux)
File Line Function

Current time: 05-14-2021, 10:39 PM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Picasso

Craigieburne Dam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone fished there lately...is the water level up or low...any ideas on how to catch smallies there if there are any left.
Can't wait to go there again, last time we were there was April/Mei last year but then the dam was nice and full.

Drew was there about a month ago and he reported that it was very low, the slipweigh was way out of the water and apperently no place to fish. I saw on the site that the dam has filled a bit but not much, about 58% fulll the last time I looked. Let's hope it changes soon, we planning to go fish there around March/April again.

There must still be smallies, some big ones for that matter! The 1,4kg one I got is a year older and bigger now! :blue-biggrin:
[Image: dbfa278d-72d0-4191-8a1b-dfc8df2ce222_zps5101ae66.jpg]
going up tomorrow lunch time for the weekend...will report back if there are any fish but only on monday :blue-badgrin: just joking will send pics to rob to load if we get any decent ones...the last ime i went up with rory da silva he got 5 fish over 3 kgs within a couple minutes of each other...so the challenge is on :blue-biggrin: he has taught me all he knows so if shouldnt be that difficult to whip his ass...big stakes on the line... the looser was dishes each day:blue-lol:
crankystanley Wrote:going up tomorrow lunch time for the weekend...

Will you be camping there?
friday night and saturday night...family getaway...we will be staying in the chalets.

we were suppose to have gone up in december but it had to be postponed because of the problems with hannah.

its gona be fishing...fishing ...fishing...fishing and maybe some sleep.

pm me your cell number if you want me to give you a call to let you know how the dam is fishing.
went and had a look at the link august put on the site...i see the dam is only 67 % full :blue-shock:
we arrived at the dam on friday afternoon...unpacked got the family sorted out and managed to get an hour of fishing in...got my butt whipped 6 - 1 fish.

saturday morning we only managed to get on the water after 5 am...the fish were literally jumping out the water...at first i thought it was barble flicking their tails...but as we got closer i noticed it was fish being chased...put on frog and let rip ...not a touch...changed to a zara spook...still nothing...i changed to a shallow running crankbait and pulled it really fast....second cast i hooked into a huge fish it surfaced and swam straight at the boat...i couldnt reel fast enough using the calais dc...by the time i collected the slack the fish was already off.

we moved around the dam and managed to get 2 nice smallies...went for breakfast then walked back down to the dam and fished from the side...i managed to get a largemouth around 1 kg.

we headed out in the afternoon for a late afternoon fish and managed to get lots of smallie and a few largemouth...i hooked into another big fish but it straighted the hook .

we decided to get an early start this morning so we launched at 4 am while it was still dark...the fish were not as active probably because it was drizzling and flippen cold...
it was rather dissapointing...with the excitement from previous morning we expected it to be wild again...we headed back for breakfast and got warmer clothes...by the time we went out again it was raining and the fishing had slowed down.

we managed to get a total of 75 fish between rory and i...only 20 % of them were largemouth bass...the rest were all smallies...the biggest being 1.2 kg caught by rory and the second biggest 900 gramms caught by me...all the bigger fish were caught early morning.

we had 2 massive electric storms while fishing and got clubbed by hail :blue-shock:

there were some shad fisherman using live bait filling their bags with whatever they caught...they managed to get one big bass...then had a fish braai :blue-sad:

we stayed at place which is next to the dam...they have a good slipway which you can use if you are a day visitor at a fee of R10 per person...or it is free if you stay over...if anyone needs the contact details send me a pm.

the dam is only 60 odd % full but has flooded grass and thick green vegatation like in the old days when we fished there...the water has risen 2 metres in the past couple of weeks and is rising by the day.

my advice to anyone wanting to go to craigieburne sleep over and fish early...the fishing slows down after 7 and it is difficult to catch fsh...the bass are not as visible as they use to be and i didnt see any bait fish the whole weekend...i think it is due to the vegatation in the water... the fish hide underneath...i considered using a jig and pitching it into the holes but there are so many and it would have been tooo time consuming...i used fast reaction baits like jerkbaits...frogs...flukes instead...we covered a lot of water and found only 4 productive spots.
Shot Ian, thanks for the report. Not bad fishing at all, sounds like the weather was not to lekker at times with the storms and all. :blue-doubt:

Sorry to hear about the big ones that got away but nice to hear there a a lot of smallies. Great to have a place in KZN where one can get smalies only 168km from Durbs!

I do not have a problem if fish is catched with live bait but taking the catches out ... :blue-evil:

I'm keen on the private venue for launching, please can you pm me the details, thanks.