Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Mossback

Awesome Dam!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeepers!

I went back home to Phalaborwa for my 10year reuion this weekend past, after the function, we all went to Swadini near the Bylde dam.

In between the copious amounts of alcohol, we went on the Blyde Dam Boat ride...all I can say I wish that they would allows us to fish there.

That dam is awesome, in terms of structure and water cleanliness, out of this world. I just looked and sighed and had another Hansa.

Cry
Is it a pvt dam???? Why is one not allowed to fish it???

:?: :roll: 8O

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hi Bass-Assasin.

That must have been a painful experience, but you are not alone. The very first time I ever went to Goedetrouw was on a raft with a couple of mates for a piss up. We pulled into a bay that had clean water and I saw 3kg+ schooling bass..... not a fishing rod in sight !! I also just had another Hansa... or 6 to kill the disappointment. i have since been back a few times at least and managed to bag a few good fish.

Why are you not allowed to fish at that particular dam?
It forms part of the Blyde Canyon Nature reserve.

Tell me Bass-Assassin do you know of any other Bass fishing spots in that area? I will be camping at Swadinin in December but the only place I can find thus far is Klaserie dam, but it seems that the only fish people catch there are Carp and barbel.
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
There is a small dam next to Klaserie Dam called Klaserie Caravan Park. If you are travelling from Swadini to Hoedspruit, if I can remember correctly, you come into Hoedspruit on the main road, turn right and travell along as if you were going towards Bosbokrandt (Kapama Cheetah Project will be on your left hand side). You will then turn left on the Gurnsey road and travel a short distance, then turn right to Klaserie Caravan park.

It is small dam, so you wont be able to use a boat, but there are some decent bass there, the owners are very strict on catch and release.

The rest of the dams are all private farm dams that I have not visited in a while. Other wise, travell an hour and a half to Tzaneen dam, but that is too far out of the way.

But I can tell you, Blyde Dam is a gem. There is a very healthy pop of Small Mouth Bass in the dam as well as largies. I have also caught in the Blyde River, some really beaut spots.
:lol: Injaka!!!

You guys must try Injaka, it's about 80km from Hoedspruit trowards Hazyview, very nice scenery, big dam, lots of structure trees,grassbeds a S?$t load of gulleys.2 inlets.
They got a concrete slipway and there is the Graskop tar road that goes straight thru the dam from 1 side to the other side. Two huge bridges and a lot of birdlife, BIG BASS, blue kurper(huge) not too many people go there at the most you will see about 5 other boats on the water, except when there is a comp. But otherwise very nice & peacefull.
Thanks Durabo, will remember it and will give it a try when I am in that part of the world again.
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
If you ever go that way again, On the swadini road after you turn off from the Strydom tonnel -> Hoespruit road there is a small farm with a nice little bass pond. Its got a Yellow Sign with a Bass on it. It is about 4km down the road after you took the turn off to Swadini. It's not awesome but at least you can fish it! My buddy took a 2kg there just the other day. Expect allot of 600-1kg fish. The owner's name is Carel. If you want his number PM me Smile The day charge is R100 but you can use his small 2 man pontoon to fish and there is a grass and shade area with a braai.

Also, if you are going klaserie's way, if you pass klaserie and klaserie caravan park, about 10k's down the road there is a lodge called Gurnsey break away chalets, they have 3 smaller dams with reports of decent bass being landed.

I have only been there once and only landed below 1.5kg.
I dont think they allow for day visits though. Just make sure.