The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? - Line: 613 - File: inc/plugins/myadvertisements.php PHP 7.4.23 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 233 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 18 require_once
/showthread.php 28 require_once
Warning [2] "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? - Line: 654 - File: inc/plugins/myadvertisements.php PHP 7.4.23 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? - Line: 701 - File: inc/plugins/myadvertisements.php PHP 7.4.23 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? - Line: 749 - File: inc/plugins/myadvertisements.php PHP 7.4.23 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? - Line: 801 - File: inc/plugins/myadvertisements.php PHP 7.4.23 (Linux)
File Line Function

Current time: 09-17-2021, 06:46 AM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Mossback

SA Dams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was wondering, if we can get a list of sa dams acording to each province, with pics and maps and what lures to use, accomadation that sort of thing.
if we get enough info on a dam then bm and rob can put it on the bfsa website and lock so any one with new info on a certain dam must let bm or rob know and they will add the info !
this might get more people to look at the site if we have info on dams and they might join!
what do you guys think?
For dams, levels and provinces you can look at this site.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/applets/weekly/WeekIndex.html">http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/applet ... Index.html</a><!-- m -->
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
pom that site gives you water levels, if i was a newbie to bassfishing and wanted to fish basslake, i would need info on it , size of dam , how to get there, accomadation , that sort of thing.
there is no sa website that gives you info on all our dams.
That's a great idea Tolla and might broaden our horizons to fish a few more dams other than those that we sometimes fish almost exclusively. I've also searched for this info to no avail. Even the SABAA website has a half-arsed attempt and bass fishing destinations. There are a couple of books with scant info but hardly anything comprehensive so a web section would be gold.
One of the local fishing magazines did it a while back, but I'm not sure which on it is, I will go check and let you know!
Knowledge is the key - Buck Perry
There is this book by Andre Pretorius called "Bassing destinations in South Africa" - he does just what Tolla suggested. 67 dams in RSA and he give some info on each dam - lures, launch, camp sites, type of fish, size, structure and so on. He also group the dams per province.

I think Tolla's idea is great if we can start our own thing on BFSA in more or less the same format.
When I joined the site in january that was the first thing I looked for and was a little dissapointed to only find forum posts on various dam . The forums tend to lose the plot most of the time so the info is a bit scant!!
I think that members from the various provinces should compile some info on the dams they fish in their area and because rob fisher has gone into retirement he can sort through them and finalize the info Wink
I?m more than happy to organise the info? all I need now is for BFSA members to do a write up for their local fishing holes and email the info.
Regards Rob
Vice President SABAA Natal
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/SABAANatal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.facebook.com/SABAANatal</a><!-- m -->
thanks rob, so all you ninja fisherman, what is working-where?
if any one has pictures , this will help ,because alot of guys don't know what snotterbelle looks like or a pic of a certain area.
thanks all!
I am not sure what the best way would be to do this but I think it?s important that we decide on some kind of a format for the dam info ? here are some suggestions:

1. Photos of the dam
2. Size in million cubic meters
3. Would be nice to have a link to the weekly volume of the dam from dwaf site
4. Length of the dam
5. Area under water when full
6. History of the dam
7. Private dam or Dept of Water affairs
8. Directions how to reach - map
9. Access ? times open etc
10. Contact and emergency numbers
11. Map of the dam if available
12. Ablution facilities
13. Camping facilities and fees
14. Chalets and fees
15. Security
16. Entrance fees ? anglers, boats
17. Launching fees
18. Boat traffic -
19. Tournaments
20. Bank angling
21. Best times of the year to fish the dam
22. Fish species
23. Dam records for biggest fish caught ? date, angler etc
24. Water conditions and structure
25. Success areas
26. Success baits
27. Other tips and advice
28. Rating of the dam for bassing - maybe 1,2 or 3 stars

:roll:
that is 1 wicked list pdv, looks good to me!
Bump!
Any further development on this idea?

I also found this that gives you GPS waypoints to 400 dams. Still lacking.
http://www.outdoorpages.co.za/waypoints
(Went looking for Kwaggas kloof or Brandvlei - nada)

Good to use on Google.
Maybe BM can setup the structure and as we get info send it to him - eventually we will fill all the blanks!

:blue-rolleyes:
We currently have a project underway to do just this for bass fishing and another for trout fishing (my business is online marketing, especially in the travel industry). The website will include details of the main fishing venues in SA and later Lesotho, Swaziland, Zim, and Namibia with accommodation listings, maps, launching facilities etc. Another feature will be a facility whereby uses will be able to write a revue of the accommodation and fishing at the various venues. Hopefully eventually we will also have details of tournaments etc.

The site will be ready for launch (I'm sticking my neck out here) by the end of March or mid April.

If anybody ahs any suggestions of features they'd like to see they are welcome to email me on <!-- e --><a href="mailto:webmaster@gobassfishing.co.za">webmaster@gobassfishing.co.za</a><!-- e -->.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span on this earth the hours spent in fishing ~Babylonian Proverb
That's great news! :blue-biggrin: