Forums
SA's First Flats boat . - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.bassfishing.co.za)
+-- Forum: Bass Boats (http://www.bassfishing.co.za/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Bass Boats (http://www.bassfishing.co.za/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: SA's First Flats boat . (/thread-9706.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

SA's First Flats boat . - BFC - 06-08-2015

Busy working on a project - initial stages of what would be South Africa's First Flats boat . The project will start in August in Strand WC and if all works out maybe , just maybe ready in time for the CPT boat show.

A Flats boat is a very minimalistic 2(3) man fishing boat designed to operate in very shallow waters like tidal zones , Estuaries , Rivers .

It is also a craft that can be used for Bassfishing , and the reason for my post is more to understand features that is important for Bassfishing to incorporate it into the design - if possible.

The Reason for the project .

* A craft that is well built and finished and able to run on 30-70(90) HP (70-120kg ) motors 2s or 4s .
* 15-16ft in Length
* Towable with a car
* Large bow and Stern Casting platforms - with Walk around access.
* Poling Platform , to pole the craft in Shallow water
* Primary market is for Estuaries , and Fly Fisherman.

Attached are some concept renderings , and examples of some USA boats.

inputs gladly appreciated :eusa_doh:

(How to add pictures ?)

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - Riprap - 06-08-2015

There might be gremlins with pic posting, SO, feel free to mail them to me cos I am interested and I will insert the pics into your post for you.

psmclint at telkomsa dot net

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - BFC - 06-08-2015

Riprap Wrote:There might be gremlins with pic posting, SO, feel free to mail them to me cos I am interested and I will insert the pics into your post for you.

psmclint at telkomsa dot net

Riprap - sent you the pics , tried 2 other methods to upload but nada

maybe photo Sheding ? :eusa_shifty:

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - Riprap - 06-09-2015

Morning BFC. I haven't received anything yet so perhaps check your side and the address?

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - Riprap - 06-17-2015

There your pics BFC.

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - BFC - 06-17-2015

Riprap Wrote:There your pics BFC.

Thanks a lot

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - smurf - 06-17-2015

Bfc,your thinking on having a multi purpose boat is great,but you will never satisfy the design need of all the targeted facets.When Rebel Boats was around,he built a flats boat modeled from an 18'6 Ranger hull off a bass boat.To this day,the current owner fishes for yellowtail off the Point and is one of the top 5 WP bass anglers...all done from this boat with single 150 HP Optimax.The Rebel owner then developed another hull from an Ocean Runner/Pelin hull to be utilised for both bass and offshore and this boat is a winner.Unfortunately,the business had a devastating fire and could not recover from that and subsequently closed down...but this 4,7 m long, high sided hull is brilliant for yellowtail,fly fishing and bass fishing...the best all rounder that I have ever laid eyes on.
A flats boat is exactly that,a flat boat for running around huge inland and flat coastal regions in the USA,mainly sight fishing for bone fish and red fish in the shallows. I would not be comfortable taking this type of hull out to Cape Point or even to Theewaterskloof dam on a mild day.
Unless you had a ton of interest in such a boat,I would not go there,but rather develop a bass boat and a yellowtail boat (of which you have a great one already).

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - BFC - 06-17-2015

smurf Wrote:Bfc,your thinking on having a multi purpose boat is great,but you will never satisfy the design need of all the targeted facets.When Rebel Boats was around,he built a flats boat modeled from an 18'6 Ranger hull off a bass boat.To this day,the current owner fishes for yellowtail off the Point and is one of the top 5 WP bass anglers...all done from this boat with single 150 HP Optimax.The Rebel owner then developed another hull from an Ocean Runner/Pelin hull to be utilised for both bass and offshore and this boat is a winner.Unfortunately,the business had a devastating fire and could not recover from that and subsequently closed down...but this 4,7 m long, high sided hull is brilliant for yellowtail,fly fishing and bass fishing...the best all rounder that I have ever laid eyes on.
A flats boat is exactly that,a flat boat for running around huge inland and flat coastal regions in the USA,mainly sight fishing for bone fish and red fish in the shallows. I would not be comfortable taking this type of hull out to Cape Point or even to Theewaterskloof dam on a mild day.
Unless you had a ton of interest in such a boat,I would not go there,but rather develop a bass boat and a yellowtail boat (of which you have a great one already).

Smurf thanks for the input , The idea behind such a craft is mostly driven by a few factors

Its not for Cape Point , Its more of a Knysna Lagoon , Breederiver , Langebaan , Swartkops, St Francis type boat and will work well in places like Vilanculos, Bazaruto , Something that is primarily a Flyfishing boat , but as a secondary can be used as a Bass Boat. The problem with Bass boats my feeling is they are way to specific and technical for Newbies , a entry level bassboat is uncool because its does not have a 200hp motor , fly by wire , e-mail and fax Wink

The bigger bass boats are heavy ish and need to be towed with bakkies or SUV's
what I have in mind is something easily towable with a car and a 40-60hp 4s motor as maximum power - It will keep the pricing fair , enough usable power
but a hull that can handle a bit of chop . A minimalistic boat , uncluttered deck
yet functional and very very well finished.

Saltwater angling is more of a catch and release sport where bassfishing is more of a keeping sport and releasing after weigh in , so a live hatch is important, trolling motor , rod storage for 4-6 rods (6-9ft)

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - BFC - 11-03-2015

Hell of a lot of re-search done on what to do and not to do , what features to embrace to make the boat Stealthy , spacious , yet easy handleable and simple

The spec we are aiming for is

4.95 Length - 16ft
1.65 Beam
175-200kg weight
15-30hp

few CAD pics

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - BFC - 11-03-2015

Instead of a heavier boat 40-70hp - this is the sort of style aiming for to operate with 15-30hp

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - Navrik - 11-03-2015

Looks great. Would love to see it in action.

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - BFC - 11-17-2015

Now getting out of dreaming gear into doing gear :eusa_doh:

And the process begins

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - BFC - 11-25-2015

Some more progress pics - very addictive drawing something on CAD and seeing it come to life.

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - KingDon - 11-25-2015

Excellent work so far, must be very exciting for you doing this

Re: SA's First Flats boat . - Navrik - 11-25-2015

Very nice!