Current time: 10-19-2017, 07:28 AM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

BFSA KBT Clan 19/20 September 2015

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just thought I'd create the topic. You guys are welcome to add content as you please...
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
BWG
Toadee,I think most of the guys,and girl,are trying to recover today.For me,I decided to head off to the opposite bank from Caletta,which was not a bad move as I could fish the bank towards the big houses out of the strong wind,but the trek back to the other side was hectic.Only managed two scrappy fish for my efforts for Saturday. Saturday night's game then put a damper on things.Sunday I decided to set off up the dam,hoping that the wind for the day will blow me back as the legs had not recovered from the several bouts of cramp the day before,but this time,the wind blew from the north and at gale force.Getting back to Caletta from almost the Mango Farm looked impossible at the time,but,luckily that wind died down enough to allow the kick back only to weigh three small fish.
Some of the guys managed some really decent fish,in particular two big largies coming out,one of 3 kg and the other 2,7kg.There were lots of undersize fish caught and that abundance of 1,5kg type fish seem to be missing,most likely gone to the pot when the level was so low.If you compare these results to those of the last KBT at Clanwilliam (April I think),you will see a big difference in the average bag weights.
Life is not about the number of breaths we make,but the moments that take our breath away.
Money Trail bags this year was also significantly down from last year and the junior regionals last weekend at Clan also battled to get bigger fish.
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Clan was super tough. Well run comp (thank Malcolm and Andrew) but tough weather and tough fishing. Not much reaction bite going on and most fish succumbing to drifting plastics – “slaapstok” as like to call it now.

I only got 5 on day 1 (that’s 1 fish every 2 hours). Only 4 were keeper giving me a 3 fish bag of 1.72kg. From what I saw at weigh-in only about 2 good bags, one over 4 kg (WITH A FLY) an Nathan with a over 5kg bag. I am open to correction here and I’m sure Malcolm will give us the results and breakdown soon.

With less than 2 hours left on day 2 I deep hooked my first fish. Poor little 26cm Smallie full of eggs. Struggled to get the hook out and was rather pissed off. Decide it was a time for change. As there where a few dinks being caught I though there may be a a pig or two lurking around feeding on them.

I tied on a giant swimbait and moved up to a bank rumoured to have some largies. I said I’d give myself 20 minutes before having to get back.

First cast and a Smallie of about1.2kg smashed me - I had my first keeper. I was just very relieved to be able to have something to weigh at weigh-in. A few casts later I lost another good Smallie after some acrobatics. I was nosw starting to get a bit excited.

It went quite for a while and I switched baits. BOOM – huge largie of 2.7kg stopped me dead and was eventually in the keepnet I was now super pumped realising I needed 1 more fish to get bag and move up from the bottom half into contention.

Three casts later, and just on 20 minutes, another 1.2kg Smallie smashed my bait and I started heading back. Weighed in 5.17kg which was enough for 2nd spot. Congrats Nathan on First place.
Clan is definitely not what it use to be...
It's a 5h drive for me and it's just not worth it anymore.
Next time clan sees me will be a year after the new level.
Juba Wrote:Clan is definitely not what it use to be...
When next we see each other on TWK remind me to discuss the concept of positivity with you.
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
BWG
With no offence to Marmaduke, it's that time of the year again when many new anglers take up the wonderful sport of bass fishing and patience being what fishing is supposed to be, many fish succumb to deep or swallowed hooks by inexperienced anglers.
If it's a tournament, cut the line a good few inches from the hook and leave the hook in for an experienced official or other to remove the hook after weighing the fish. Do not put a bleeding fish in the livewell if you don't have non iodised salt or other approved additives in the well. Soak the fish over the side till most of the bleeding stops.

The only way to learn is to practice so herewith the illustrations which have been posted on this site many times over:

1) With the hook in the gullet, note which side of the fish's mouth the hook shank is toward. Note: For illustration sake, the line is eliminated here in steps 2 through 5. In reality, the line stays connected as this technique is performed.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

(2) With a finger or two, reach in through the last gill arch on that side of the fish and push and pull down on the hookeye so the hook turns and . . .

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

(3) rolls out below the gill toward the side of the fish. At that point, amazingly, the hook, barb and all, almost always pops free from its hold in the fish's gullet.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

(4) Reach into the fish's mouth and grip the bend in the hook (which is now up) and . . .

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

(5) lift it free. If the fish's mouth is too small to reach in with your hand, use a needle-nose pliers to grip the hook bend.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

What needs to be emphasized is how resilient a fish's gills actually are -- far from being the fragile organs often suggest by some sources. And the occasional bleeding fish? Does it have to be kept? Just get the fish back into the water as soon as possible and, more often than not, the bleeding stops.
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Toadee Wrote:
Juba Wrote:Clan is definitely not what it use to be...
When next we see each other on TWK remind me to discuss the concept of positivity with you.

Lol! Very possitive.... fishing dams with lots of big fish. Clan will be awesome again. Just need the level up so it can't be harvested.
Unfortunately this season with the low level it's gone receive a hammering of note.
Marmaduke I think ya may ow me a beer Smile
was heading there - but was too buggered after fighting the wind, slightly kicking myself now, but good fishing mate well done.
Also massive shout out to Nathan Goldberg, after his decent bag on the first day he worked his ass off on the last day to produce a decent second day bag. Good fishing well done.
Had a great time at the comp meeting a few of you guys, had a good laugh on a dificult second day - will be back for more.
Well done to malcom and andrew. thx guys
I love the smell of bass in the morning.....
Hey guys and Lady
Hope everyone has recovered from from the weekend! It was really tough fishing all weekend, as this was my first KBT it was rather intimidating, and the tough fishing didn't help either. But with a bit of help from Roy, Grant, Pieter and Q just to name a few i learnt alot and didnt end up blanking :eusa_dance: :eusa_clap:
Also i would like to thank everyone involved in organizing the event and the accommodation, it was really an awesome experience for me.

BRING ON POORTJIES
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”
All I can say is:

It was tough and all I ended up with was a shaved chest and a 4th place, I almost died lol!!! :lol:
[Image: SignatureSmallBFSA_zps89bcf1e2.png]
BWG
Well done guys.

Tough but you guys still manage good fish in between.

See you at the next one for sure! Got a baby sitter booked already!!!
[Image: SignatureSmallBFSA_zps89bcf1e2.png]
Hi there guys .
Thanks for a great comp . Very nice to catch some smallie .well done to everyone. :eusa_angel:

Right after the comp we headed back to lebanon . I really wanted To throw a popping frog .
Went there with a popping frog.... 2nd cast booom :bluegrab: on with a 2.1kg largie

After a couple blowups Michael went vass with a 2kg smallie in the shallows . Now thats how you end an awsome weekend . See you at poortjies . Hope my toes had recover by then haha. :eusa_dance:
Nice fishing!
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Roy Wrote:All I can say is:

It was tough and all I ended up with was a shaved chest and a 4th place, I almost died lol!!! :lol:
Bru, I hope your life insurance is sorted with all the bad luck you have been having recently Wink

Well done Gowi! Lekker fish there bud!

Fishing was not easy, but ended up with a few on Saturday and unfortunately my trip was cut short on Saturday afternoon when I found that my bank cards were missing, so I had to skip out on the kite flying on Sunday.

I would also like to Thank the chaps that purchased some goods from me. It is much appreciated!

Congrats to Nathan on winning the Big Fish prize, enjoy the parcel man!