Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

Raymarine Dragonfly 4.Help to interpret

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi guys
just bought the dragonfly 4, tested it out this weekend.just need some help understanding it..did take pics and any help regarding the images if the tranducer is set up properly and is it all fish showing and how to distinguish betwwen fish species..how will i know if its a bass,carp etc..friend managed 1 bass of 1.4kg on a texas rigged rage lizard junebug.
thanks
BFSA
went to a different dam aswell heres pic from that dam
Hello!

Im no fishfinder guru but it looks like the clutter or sensitivity setting is way to high. I am not familiar with these units but wanted to review them on the bass bandits site...

Does it have a surface clutter or sensitivity setting you can decrease?
"At night when I go to sleep.... I count Bass instead of sheep!"
Hi Ismeal

A fish finder will never be able to tell you what species of fish it is but there are ways to narrow it down a bit better if you find fish near cover or structure it could be bass, fish in open water could be a different species.

You have a fair bit clutter on your screen and this is due to the speed you moving at and this is clear in the pictures you posted the slower you go the more elongated you images will get and this is deu to the cone width of the either the sonar or down scan. KHZ Settings

When you moving along at the correct speed a fish on the down scan will show up as a dot and on the sonar as a bow the slower you go the dot will become a stripe and harder to distinguish unless you know what to look for.

When I look at some of your pics it seems you passed over a few fish without even knowing it.

If you look at the pics where your speed was increased your images cleared up a lot better and at slower speeds you had elongated images popping up.

I hope this helps a bit but I am sure there are a few guys out there that know a lot more than me.
[Image: SignatureSmallBFSA_zps89bcf1e2.png]
Morning Ismael. Nutt also a member on this site is the Raymarine man. I suggest you send him a PM to look at the images for you.

I am sure Fishtec will also see it soon and be able to comment.
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Hi Ismael. Nutt is a busy oke so I hope he gets to this as it would be very interesting indeed.
Besides the user manual in hard copy, it's always nice to have a digital copy one can peruse on your pc: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/ij4gqb4n6o3z5y06ve62/1/3615615773/29202205180/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/ij4gqb4 ... 02205180/1</a><!-- m -->

Here's their official channel on you tube: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/RaymarineInc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/user/RaymarineInc</a><!-- m -->

On pg 56 of the digital manual, there are other links to tutorials. I'm eyeing a 4" thus my interest.
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
BFSA
The images should become much clearer when you move at around 3-8 km/h. Slow speeds aren't good for SI and DI.

If I'm looking for fish and structure with my Humminbird unit I cruise at 5km/h, which shows very clear images. Try and match your unit's speed to that of the boat's speed.
Thanks guys. Haven't interfered with the settings. They all on auto.. My top speed with my trolling motor is 5.3km/h...on the pics all those small dots on the Di is it all fish. Will take more pics of the settings later..the 2nd dam I went to water is crystal clear usually I could see the bass but this weekend it was like a grave yard only caught a few barbel
Some pics. The mount is adjustable
Hi Ismael

send me a pm with your cell number and I will sort you out, thanks.

Cheers Nutt
[Image: logo.jpg]
Hi Ismail,

There is some really great advice by the other members here, but if I may add the following:

As mentioned, identifying species is a very tricky thing when it comes to sonar, so resolution is VERY important.

The resolution I am referring to is VR, or vertical resolution (top to bottom of display).

I see you have your unit split horizontally between DownVision and CHIRP, this is not a good idea as you have just halved your VR.

Rather split it vertically, this will utilise the full VR of the unit thus making it much easier to identify species.

Note: Bass and barbel have the smallest 'sonar signature', while carp and tillapia have the greatest.
BFSA
Thanks a lot..just need to get on the water and test it again