Current time: 11-24-2017, 06:47 PM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

Hawkins old model charger advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perhaps one of the old dogs can help me here. Purchased the following "working" charger on an auction yesterday for R325. Hawkins tell me this model upgrade is the Pro 615 model and don't have a users manual for the older model. Bought it mainly because of it's ability to charge 24V. Any help appreciated, thanks.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
BFSA
Hey i use the exact same one, great charger and has been good to us for 15 years !

I dont have a manual either but what is it that you need to know ?
The Boat Doctor

Experts in propeller repairs
Rememeber Weekends last longer with a spare prop!!
The Boat Doctor Website
Goeie genade, looks like something that was used on the Titanic. :blue-shock:
[Image: dbfa278d-72d0-4191-8a1b-dfc8df2ce222_zps5101ae66.jpg]
You talking about Rip or the charger..... :blue-biggrin:
"I don't exagerate...I think big!"
Always, you okes are being the clowns.....hahahahaa!
Jason, thanks boet. so it charges a constant 10A and up to 3 batteries in series or parallel for 12V, right? Not quite sure on the fine, medium & course settings. Start off at their lowest and settings (from course) determined by the meter or if the unit trips then they are too high?

With this charger one can equalize the cells by overcharging 5% odd in the end to mix the acid to avoid stratification?
Good grief Rip!
Have you been over-dosing on BBC and History Channel lately (pawn stars, american pickers, storage wars)?

Why risk your R2k deep cycle battery with a charger that Jan Van Riebeeck used to charge the first battery that kept the lights burning on De Goede Hoop.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
BFSA
Kassie, the quest for knowledge has no boundaries ol' chap. :lol:
You see......it was Van Riebeecks fault!
Rip you are correct in saying 3 batts in series would be 36 volts and 3 in parallel would be 12 (just upping the capacity )

With the trip switches down and all dials tuned to the minimum, connect the batt and start with the fine, one click at a time until max, then add medium until the amps are up to between 5-10 then fine tune with the 'fine knob' (sounds wrong that :eusa_dance: ), but doubt you will ever need the coarse, watch the amps as it starts to climb and keep the charge for a lead acid (Pb) battery under 7 amps, i prefer a slower (5 amp) charge but it takes longer, as the battery peaks the amp will drop automatically to less than a amp

just keep in mind that when you charging multiple batteries, this charger cannot sense when one battery is full, so charge you can charge all together at first but the last top up i normally do separately

Hope this helps
Jason
The Boat Doctor

The Boat Doctor Website
I don't get it! Why use stone-age (and possibly dodgy) tech and risk cooking expensive batteries.
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
At over R5K for a 24V 10-20A C-tek it somehow makes a little bit of monetary sense... :blue-neutral:
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Jason,thanks a stack boet, that helps a lot.
@ Toadee - don't even try get it, it's an Eastern Cape thing........ :lol:
BFSA
No problem Rip

Its a really good charger, better than anything you buy from a auto parts / accessories store

Hawkins make great chargers, my dad used to use a small 24 volt hawkins of much newer tech and didn't fill them any better :eusa_angel:
The Boat Doctor

The Boat Doctor Website
Bargains are still there to be had if one shops around. Lead Acid batteries are still made the same way and I'm happy to say that this "Voortrekker" charger works perfectly and delivers the same result as the more modern chargers.