Current time: 10-23-2017, 08:42 PM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

The real results of Brighsight at Applethwaite

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As most of you are aware The Brighsight event held at Applethwaite this year raise R30 000 for the Brighsight Charity, a George Lions initiative. Mike did an awesome job organising and has asked me to post a message from him and the Lions, along with some photos of what the funds are paying for. Personally I feel privileged to have played a small part in raising money for this cause.

Let me start at the beginning!!! the first person who was helped from the 2014 comp was Pamneshia, who required an operation to rectify her sight problem. Then she need some special glasses. The two people with her are the doctor who did the op and his wife who helped.
[Image: Pamnesia.jpg]

We then move on to 2015.The children from Carpe Diem a special need school received glasses once again by the same doctor.
[Image: Spec-Handover1.jpg]
[Image: Spec-Handover2.jpg]
[Image: Spec-Handover3.jpg]
[Image: Spec-Handover4.jpg]
[Image: Spec-Handover5.jpg]

The pic of the elderly lady was the first to get a cornea transplant. After the doctor found out how much we had raised he did the first one and he still has to do the second one at half the price.
[Image: Mrs-Hogben.jpg]

To see the look on the faces of all of these people gives me a great feeling to say the least.

I would like to thank every single person who was involved in any way that helped make this a reality for a lot of people. To those people who tried to in some ways to derail this project, I hope you can see what I am trying to achieve by doing this event.

I can only hope that we can continue to raise much needed funds for this sort of thing in the future.

Please read the letter that was sent to me from the Lions with regards to the breakdown of the money used so far

Once again thanks to everyone
Cheers Mike/ Applebass

GEORGE LIONS CLUB
Serving the community for over 50 years

Good morning Mike and Margie

I hope this email finds you both well

We would like to keep you updated on the work we are doing with Bright Sight because of the money raised from the Bass Fishing Competition in February on the dam at the Applethwaite Farm.

Mrs Hogben a lady of 86 years who was badly in need of a cataract operation which took place on 15th April, at a cost of R4800 and is a complete success. Mrs Lombaard a 65 year old lady also in need of a cataract operation, which will take place on 18th May, again the cost is R4800,photos to follow for both of these.

Ten children from the Carpe Diem Special School in George have received much needed spectacles at a cost of R6000. 12 other children from different schools have received much needed spectacles at a cost of R7200. So as you can see up to now we have spent R22800 out of the R30000 raised.

Could you please thank everybody concerned on the Applethwaite Farm for allowing us to do this fantastic project on there, and you both for all the hard work you have put in to organizing it and also the gentleman who lives on the dam for any inconvenience we may have caused and last but not least all the fishermen who took part in this event, without whom this amazing project could not have taken place.

Thank you all.
Yours in friendship

Rick
President
George Lions Club
BWG
This is so awesome makes one feel really good!!
[Image: SignatureSmallBFSA_zps89bcf1e2.png]
RESPECT to all involved.
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Well done. I love happy endings!
Regards
Robert Jacobs
"Kudus" to all involved. :blue-cool:
Garnet Prince
[Image: ay55i0.png]
Outstanding achievement and gesture from all involved!! Very well done!!!

We seldom look around us and think of the needs of others in todays crazy world... For all of you, as a group of fisherman, to get involved and contribute so unselfishly to such a worthy cause and make a difference in so many peoples lives.... To quote Rip... RESPECT!!!

:eusa_clap: :eusa_dance: :eusa_clap:

:twisted: Wink :twisted:
BWG
This should make all you guys who participated and organized this event feel great
well done to all
Really nice to see the feedback from the contribution of this comp,and others that Marmaduke is getting together.Hopefully the land owners that were against this can see there is a substantial benefit to those less fortunate.
Look forward to the next one so some others are in a position to be helped by the Lions...and I look forward to their early morning breakfast again :eusa_angel: .
Well done to everyone concerned. :eusa_clap:
Life is not about the number of breaths we make,but the moments that take our breath away.
HI Ladies,
For my part, I'm for one really glad that we can see where the donations are going to and BOY is it going to a great cause.
It's also pleasing to see the pictures and write ups online , many thanks Rick, as this will perhaps put a stop to all the roofkuikers out there with their negative views and carry on's..... AND THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE AND I HOPE THEY FEEL ASHAMED...
Do you now see why and what for that the event is arranged????
TO HELP THE UNDERPRIVILEGED.
It takes a lot to organise and arrange and ask for sponsorship. THANK YOU TO ALL THE SPONSORS.
It also takes a lot for the participants to commit as well with all the other regionals and competitions on the go at the same time. Its a financial hurdle for quite a few anglers out there and we appreciate EVERYBODY'S participation for this great cause.
THANK YOU GUYS AND DOLLS AND KIDS.
THANK YOU APPLETHWAITE FARM and MANAGMENT.
THANK YOU GEORGE LIONS for the breakfast.

That's enough for now,

Until next time.
Bergie.
"I don't exagerate...I think big!"
Hey Bergie, where do you suddenly crawl out from.......? I can't resist to comment on the fact that you don't say much anymore but when you do, you should be on the radio......so that we can switch you off! :lol:

Put another feather in your cap; well done.
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Congratulations.
BWG
Morning all
I can only agree with what bergie has to say.Lets see what is going to happen ,people who sit in the background and complain to everyone else should come onto this open forum and talk about the problems that they have :eusa_whistle:
Applebass Wrote:people who sit in the background and complain to everyone else should come onto this open forum and talk about the problems that they have :eusa_whistle:

Rather,please don't.There people who will complain about anything,even when life is good to them.If you have an itch about a tournament,put forward a constructive comment to see if it will improve matters,if you not happy,stay home !

Hello Bergie...you roofkyker !
Life is not about the number of breaths we make,but the moments that take our breath away.
Hello Mr Van Winkle & Gnome,
I haven't crawled out of anywhere boet I'm always around keeping an eye out when you ladies are sleeping at 4.30am making sure your all being gentlemen and behaving yourselves. :eusa_naughty:
That I must say is the height of impossibility some days... :roll: :blue-biggrin:

Bye.....I'm watching you..... :lol:
"I don't exagerate...I think big!"