Current time: 12-18-2017, 10:34 PM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

Badisa Event, Phillip's, 18 April, Reportback.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firstly a big thank you to everyone who fished, to Oom Phillip for allowing us to use his wonderful dam and to Tannie Judene / Badisa for the morning coffee and luch time boeries. We managed to raise R3600 for charity.

Unfortunate the smallies were very shy, possibly something to do with the awesome beach weather. Big African Blue sky with hardly any wind…
[Image: Badisa-2.JPG]

Most anglers got fish although not everyone managed to get fish over 30cm. A host of fish in the 30cm range where caught with the big fish showing themselves every now and again but refusing to play ball.

Congratulations to the Top 3 places:
1) CJ Smit with 97cm
2) Rolfe Deppe with 95.5cm
3) Marius Botha with 94.5cm
[Image: Badisa.JPG]

The CPR seemed to go well with only 1 mishap (due to angler error not Smallie exuberance). It certainly was a pleasure not dragging the keepnet around and I’m sure the fish appreciated it as well.

Personally I only landed 3 fish but had a great day on the water. I had a huge blow up early in the morning on a hollow bodied frog in the scattered reeds. Felt the weigh but, at 30m out, it didn’t stick. A few fellow anglers applauded a bit too loudly….

15 minutes later I managed to land beautiful 1.3kg Smallie on a home made mouse lure. Unfortunately I dropped my whole measuring trough with the Smallie sitting politely waiting to be photographed. Damn, who’s idea was this…??? Thankfully another Smallie in the 1.1kg range smashed the mouse a few minutes later. This time I put the trough on the deck, not balanced between my tubes, and she photographed at 41.5cm.
[Image: 41.5cm-,-1.1kg-Smallie.jpg]

Lastly a massive thank you to the following sponsors:

Eddlesgas and Tackle
Fine & Country False Bay
Great White Sport & Surf
Mystery Tack Pack
‘Ol Big Mouth & Outdoors
Outdoors 365 Equipment
Spur Steak Ranch
Suburban Tackle

The prizes were in the form of goodiebags with first place getting first pick. Each goodiebag was worth at least R300 comprising of a couple of bags of plastics, a crank or 2, some hooks, and a few other miscellaneous items like spinner baits, frogs, line, die etc. Added to that most bags had a big item as well, we had wine, rods, 10 vouchers, a backback, a buff etc.

Everyone was a winner, the anglers, Badisa and the fish.

We will certainly be holding some more Bassing For Charity events next season at a few select venues.
BFSA
well done! Would be interesting to hear from the naysayers how they found the CPR format?
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
Nice one buddy!
Personally I was quite happy with the gutter measuring system. It worked. I would be at ease using it again on other outings.
For my part I got 2 smallies just after 12h00 after flaying the water to a froth from launch till then. Caught on my smallest grub and 1/0 hook deep in the vegetation to the right of the beach.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/johnthestar/library/Badisa%2018%20April%202015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://s1195.photobucket.com/user/johnt ... ril%202015</a><!-- m -->.
"any port in a storm"
Thank you Craig for organizing this event. It was a lovely day and the weather you ordered was amazing, even though the smallies didn't think so.

For me the CPR worked very well and I do think that not even one fish suffered or died during this event.

It was a great pity to see that big bass returning your top water bait without even a thank you. But it made for some spectacular viewing. Congrats on still catching the biggest fish after that set back!

My friend and I caught a lot of smallies during the morning after we realized that they were mainly in the deeper water. Most of them were however less than 30cm. I caught all my bigger fish on a stretch 40 fished very very slow.

Looking forward to the next event!
Just from my side Craig, a BIG thank you for a great event and an awesome day out. Also to Oom Phillip and his family making the venue available and being so hospitable!
From my side, the fish all came from deeper water, between 6 and 8 meters. I caught them on two patterns: Firstly on a Zoom Fat Albert Grub in Watermelon Red and Green Pumpkin Red on a straight forward jig head. I worked this along the ledges at the 6m mark very slowly as I covered the water looking for structure.
When I found structure I would bounce the grub around a little and if I didn't get a take, I pulled out the dropshot rig. I used KVD finesse worms in 4inch as well as the dreamshots and they really did work wonders.
I managed 14 fish for the day, and even got to upgrade 2 of my "keepers" with about half an hour to go when I found some awesome rockpiles/brush in the middle of the dam in about 6 meters of water. Just goes to show again the value of perseverance and electronics! :lol:
Thanks again! It was a privilege for Eddlesgas to be associated with this event, and I hope we can do many more like it in the future.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://s725.photobucket.com/user/JC_Smit/slideshow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://s725.photobucket.com/user/JC_Smit/slideshow/</a><!-- m -->
BFSA
Well done Marmaduke and all the sponsors.
Looks like it was a fun day out, pity the smallies didnt play along.
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
Thank you Craig and our hosts for a superbly organized event. I only managed to use the CPR system three times but it worked a treat and I hope more events use this method in the future. Now I'm off to the shops to buy a fish finder!
once you have a CPR comp and realise that you don't have to drag a keepnet around all day it is hard to go backWink
I have to disagree with you jonni.Although the cpr formar is nice for a casual event,I would definitely not recommend it for the kbt trail.Out of the 5 fish I caught,two were exactly 29cm.It may be coincidence,but I've never had 2 fish weigh exactly the same to the gram in a comp.To me,length alone is not a good enough indication of total size of the fish.The day we have a cpr that works on weight and that's fair and tamper proof,that day I'll be happy to put the livewell away.But anyway,thanks Graig for a nice relaxed event and your hard work.
toph2o Wrote:I have to disagree with you jonni.Although the cpr formar is nice for a casual event,I would definitely not recommend it for the kbt trail.Out of the 5 fish I caught,two were exactly 29cm.It may be coincidence,but I've never had 2 fish weigh exactly the same to the gram in a comp.To me,length alone is not a good enough indication of total size of the fish.The day we have a cpr that works on weight and that's fair and tamper proof,that day I'll be happy to put the livewell away.But anyway,thanks Graig for a nice relaxed event and your hard work.
What if I told you that there have been fishing comps, based on weight, where 1st place was a tie.
http://www.bassmaster.com/tournaments/20.../results/1
I don't see how having two fish of identical length is relevant.
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
BFSA
If you told me that,I would say it's a good thing it was weight,because on length you could wonder afterwards about who's bag was actually the biggest.
You're missing the point.

I am trying to indicate (as I have posted elsewhere before) that using weight as a way to evaluate a fish is no more, or less, arbitrary than using its length.

Similar arbitrary measure are used in other hunting and fishing disciplines: deer hunters rate bucks on the number of points on their antlers. Some fishing comps are measured on quantity (meaning that two dinks beat one monster). Artlure guys score more if they have different species.

There is a strong correlation (within a variance) between weight and length for fish. This means that it takes the same skill to catch a very heavy fish as it does to catch a very long fish.

The variance might strike you as a problem, but over the course of a season you'll find that the longest cumulative bag will also be the heaviest.

I'm under no illusion that bass fishing is evaluated by weight and it'll probably stay that way for a while, but maybe we can slowly move to a more fish-friendly way of scoring the winner.
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
I'm definitely not missing the point.From a scientific/mathematical point of view I have a problem when someone tells me that a 40cm fish that weighs 1,25 kg is the same size as a 40cm fish that weighs 1,35 kg which can ultimately happen because of "within variance".I pride myself in bringing healthy,live fish to the weigh in's.There's a certain element of excitement at the weigh station that was absent at the cpr.All of my social fishing is cpr,I just don't see it as a better method as it only takes one parameter into account.I'm about the same length as Brad Pitt,but our girths differ enough to make him a much better catch than me.All this is just my opinion,so feel free to ignore it,as I will most probably do with yours.
hey each to their own, no probsWink

Comparing girth with brad pitt... thats just wrongTongue