Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

Copyright

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Guys

I have just received a complaint from another well know website about a copyrighted article posted here on BFSA. Please note that this could get us into some trouble and therefor I must ask that if you would like to copy from another website you MUST ask them for permission to do so. Only once you have the permission may you post the article. Please also post the correspondence showing the given authorisation as well as the url to the page where the article came from. Otherwise I will have to delete the post.

Thanks

:blue-cool:
Sometimes the fishing is so bad not even the liars catch anything!!!!
BWG
Fair enough BM, but I'm curious. Is it scholary articles, pictures, posts from other forums or what? What exactly is it that we need to be careful of?
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
When you get good,your opposition always whines... :blue-rolleyes:
Life is not about the number of breaths we make,but the moments that take our breath away.
BFSA has opposition?
Riprap, it was in fact your post on Managing our Fisheries. lol.

Bassresources have a copyright act attached to their site.

Please see the copyright notice at
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bassresou.../copyright.html">http://www.bassresou.../copyright.html</a><!-- m --> to see what you can and cannot do with the content found on our site. Namely, you cannot use the text, code, or images from our site and place them on your site.

I have in the interim asked them if I can keep the article on BFSA as it is very informative and can help us here in SA.

I am unfortunately positive that there is more content that has been copied and pasted from other sites including BFSA. I don’t mind sharing info to much as long as it benefits the bass fishing industry to help it grow and be sustained.

In future everyone should ask permission to copy and information be it pictures, text etc from other sites. It is the right thing to do.

Thanks

:blue-cool:
Thanks BM, that is now funny!
At least I gave Dr. Allen credit before the post, albeit copy/paste/edit. I will personally apologise to them as I didn't realise that scholary articles available on the web (although PUBLIC) are not actually public! I have in some instances requested articles from scientific journals with a motivation and these have been supplied out of kindness and the willingness to share knowledge. Such articles are not available in full on the web.

The web is a strange place! I apologise to you as well. Beleive me it wasn't done intentionally!
BWG
Hey boet, I did not think it was done intentionally. No worries. I have asked them if we can keep it up.

The web is a funny place... :blue-cool:
BM - I'm curious, how would the following apply?

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.
Ah...I new it....you big thief..... :blue-biggrin: :blue-biggrin:
"I don't exagerate...I think big!"
We had a few more complaints recently, most of them relate to old content written by Pomerob. We have edited it down to the first paragraph with a link to the original article which the guys from Bass Resource are happy with.

Apart from the copyright issue there is also a penalty that Google applies to "duplicate content". When they find it they can penalise the site that is doing the duplicating by pushing them down, (way, way, way down), in the rankings.....which isn't good for a website :blue-shock:
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span on this earth the hours spent in fishing ~Babylonian Proverb
BA, so lets get this straight for everyone's benefit.

If you post say an abstract of the article with a link for the rest, that's ok?
If you post an article giving credit to the author, that's not ok?
If you request permission from the host or original site, that's ok?

What content do Google own, I'm curious?
BWG
In the KAK!!! ....again Mr Rip???? I hope youve got "Legalwise" ...if not you can borrow mine
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
Ha ha, no I'm not, I'm hoping that other guys can learn from this.......
I learnt my lesson loooong ago and for what it's worth, Admin from the complainent sites didn't afford me the luxury of a reply to my numerous letters......!
riprap Wrote:BA, so lets get this straight for everyone's benefit.

If you post say an abstract of the article with a link for the rest, that's ok?
If you post an article giving credit to the author, that's not ok?
If you request permission from the host or original site, that's ok?

What content do Google own, I'm curious?
Any of the above are fine provided that you get permission from the original author.

Google isn't so much of a content owner, they generally just point you to content created by others. They don't want people simply copying content so that their website ranks high on the index though, which is why the penalize for it, they much prefer that you create your own unique content. For that matter it's better for us in the long run to have unique content, it will help BFSA stay ranked at the top of Google.

Bottom line......unique content is better always, but as an information sharing site it's not practical, we all refer to other sites and articles written by others, but we have to be sure to obtain their permission if we publish their content on this site.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span on this earth the hours spent in fishing ~Babylonian Proverb
Sho, thanks BA. I may be from the Estern Cape but I had to read that more than once before it made sense. I thnik I get it.
Out of 32 400 000 results on "bass fishing" on Google, BFSA came out tops!