Current time: 01-19-2018, 01:07 PM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

My First Degassing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I decided to hit Inanda on Sat the 2 July and haven’t been on the water for a while so it was nice to be out in the warm sun. It was a blue bird sky with very little wind. When I arrived at 11.00am I saw 4 boats coming off the water and could see it had been a tough. Apparently the cold wind had been blowing the whole morning.

I had no expectations and new the fish would be deep so tried my usual deep cliff spots but couldn’t buy a bite. This carried on for about 3 hrs moving from spot to spot.

I ended up near the dam wall and was just drifting across the deep water in front of the wall when my wife got a faint tap and set the hook. The water is quite clear up there and could see the silver flash of the fish as it was brought up from the depths. As it came out I could see the bulging eyes and the bloated belly and new this fish needed help. My wife released it and it flopped on it side looking pretty helpless. I have had a hypodermic needle in my tackle box for a few years but never needed to use it. It was a breeze and hit the spot first time. I just lay the pectoral fin flat and went in behind that. Watching those bubbles stream out is a pretty cool site. The fish almost slid off the needle and it swam back to the depth. Next cast she got another bite but missed. I have no electronics and stumbled across this spot by pure luck. So I quickly made a mental note of our position by lining up a few buoys as markers.

My wife was using a Yamamoto senko and we have a rule never to fish the same lure. I remembered Ninja’s report about drop shot fluke and using scent. I had no garlic scent but had just bought some new coffee flavored flukes from Strike King.

I put it on drop shot and in the next half hour I caught 4 fish off that one spot all just over the kilo range and all needed degassing. Looks like they like their coffee. Both my wife and me missed quite a few bites. I had to remember not to strike and soon had the sweeping motion for the circle hook waxed.

I am so bummed that I have no pics but my new Canon PowerShot SX210 IS got donated to someone on Durban beachfront. Great camera and I will definitely be buying another one.

This showed me that catching fish is one thing but it is more about locating the fish. That to me is the hard part. I would be interested to see how deep I was fishing but know that section in front of the wall (aquarium) is very deep and if I didn’t know how to degass it would have meant 6 dead fish.

This clip shows the best method.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etof7_x8NE">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etof7_x8NE</a><!-- m -->
The more I learn about fishing the more I realise
how much more I have to learn about fishing.
BWG
Awesome report back and some very good advice there Jeremy. Congrats on getting the fish!
[Image: 20160425%20All%20Sponsors%20Footer.png]
Good stuff.

Maybe you should have a look at the Panasonic Lumix DMC TS3 camera too. My one friend just got one. It's great for fishing. It's waterproof and shock proof, but the features I really like is the GPS and barometer. So on every pic you have the exact coordinates you caught the fish plus the barometric pressure.

The GPS function might come in handy if you want to map a dam :blue-smile:
Great one jeremy....and I also like the youtube clip.....best ive seen yet.... :blue-biggrin:
"I don't exagerate...I think big!"
Well Done Jeremy and lekker report. Sorry about the camera. Caffiene Shad... I never caught one on them and I have one left in the bag. The dam wall area is my favourite but we have not been able to catch anything decent with the water being so clear and just had to watch in despair as the fish spot us and spook so I guess you gotta go deep
Great stuff Jers!

Where you fished the depth is around 35-40ft. Great to hear the fluke dropshot worked for you as well.

Interesting you mentioned circle hook (which is the recommended hook to use for dropshot, as we all know). I do not use a circle hook but rather a 2/0 CAT'S bass hook, it is shaped slightly different to the normal bass hooks in that the tip of the hook is pointing slightly outwards. It seems to be working like a bomb with just about a 100% hook-up rate, worth a try.

Thanks for the lekker report Jeremy. :blue-cool:
[Image: dbfa278d-72d0-4191-8a1b-dfc8df2ce222_zps5101ae66.jpg]
BWG
Neels, What about testing that 60 ft mark seeing that we caught fish between 40-50 ft. ? Bit cold this week , but I am sure the Ninja will be ready sometime next week ?
I have a new respect for drop shot fishing and a few more theory,s to test .
DecimalDan Wrote:Neels, What about testing that 60 ft mark seeing that we caught fish between 40-50 ft. ? Bit cold this week , but I am sure the Ninja will be ready sometime next week ?

Dan, as was mentioned by one of the members in another post, some of the "roof kykers" will never believe us if I reported on fish that we caught in 62ft. :blue-biggrin:

Just phone me when you ready for the next midweeker ...... I'll be there like a Ninja! :blue-badgrin:
[Image: dbfa278d-72d0-4191-8a1b-dfc8df2ce222_zps5101ae66.jpg]
Neels...your reply above is like inviting only one Ethopian friend to Wimpy for a Burger..eish I think in the word of Robf "Thats a fine" :blue-sad:
Bwahahahahaha...lekker one ryanie..... :blue-badgrin: :blue-biggrin: :blue-lol:
"I don't exagerate...I think big!"
Ryanie Wrote:Caffiene Shad... I never caught one on them and I have one left in the bag.

Not what I wanted to hear :blue-sad: Thought I had stumbled on a winner and at nearly 90 buck a bag you would think they'd be a kick ass lure.

I'll keep using mine on drop shot and see how it goes.
The more I learn about fishing the more I realise
how much more I have to learn about fishing.
BWG
Jeremy I must add that I have never used them on drop shot or deeper water or even in winter....but I was dissappointed in them esp seeing as the price tag was so high... Watermelon Red Z Too has been working for me in the deep... I believe that Neels has a point with the Spike it and perhaps the Coffee Scent does the same in masking any scent or as an attractant..So dont knock it untill you have checked it again..you may very well be onto something.. The other thing for me is that the dam wall is usually more sheltered from the wind so it would be great if you have found a pattern there
...and found it in your kind heart to share it with your fellow local bass anglers :blue-biggrin:
Ninja Wrote:
DecimalDan Wrote:Neels, What about testing that 60 ft mark seeing that we caught fish between 40-50 ft. ? Bit cold this week , but I am sure the Ninja will be ready sometime next week ?

Dan, as was mentioned by one of the members in another post, some of the "roof kykers" will never believe us if I reported on fish that we caught in 62ft. :blue-biggrin:

Just phone me when you ready for the next midweeker ...... I'll be there like a Ninja! :blue-badgrin:
Dr D will have to get a new needle for the gassing to keep a 100 % record. Dont want any 2 kg fishes to die now ?