Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

Mofam fishing suspended!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi everybody,

I received an email from Mofam informing me that fishing at Mofam is suspended until further notice. If you have booked to fish this weekend you can still go.
Keep an eye on the social media pages for more info as to when Mofam re-opens fishing.
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
BWG
Do they have any reason for the suspension ?
Life is not about the number of breaths we make,but the moments that take our breath away.
Glad you asked the question not sure I can undestand why
Low water levels and poor fishing.

From the email: It is with sadness that I have to advise that the Managing partners of Mofam had to make the hard decision to suspend fishing on Arieskraal Dam, access through Mofam.

The Fish levels have been dropping together with alarmingly low water levels, and in order to give the bass a chance at strengthening their numbers again, they are blocking off the area to try and recoup.
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
I've been speaking to the new owner and the main reason for the closure is the pressure created by guests and other river frontage land owners resulting from continuous breach of fishing rules.
Things like early morning noise, littering, disregard for boundaries etc. This and the continuous non-payment by anglers.
We are in discussions regarding re-allowing access and will keep everyone informed of developments.
This can only be from the guys in the float tube chapter ?
BWG
KingDon Wrote:This can only be from the guys in the float tube chapter ?
This is not a constructive comment. There is much to discuss here, but pointing fingers is not going to help.

And just to be clear; littering, noisiness and encroachment are just as easily done off a boat.
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
Regardless of which facet of angling might be at fault here, the fact remains that anglers are their own worst enemies often and some introspection is required.
I always feel sorry for the guys who have to go patch things like this up all the time................
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
This is Mofam we are speaking about, no boats allowed only float tubes so lets stick to why fishing has been suspended at Mofam? my comment stays
Morning All
I think Mofam management should name and shame the guilty parties on social media. Then let the other anglers have words with the hand full of law breakers. It is only a handful, if caught ban them forever!!! Bugger those that spoil it for others.

BUT on the other hand, Mofam can also mark those area's a bit better. If a first timer comes there they would have no clue where the cut off boundary is.
Have a register where everyone must sign in with id number, vehicle reg number so that they have record of who is on the water!

just 1 2cents worth.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”
A bit of learning I had from maintaining access to sensitive venues like this: If you manage to organise access again don't announce it on the internet. Tell joe public that it's still closed. Then keep access managed by ensuring that people who go accompany someone who is a trusted regular.

IMO If you dont do this and its kept open to the public then it will go the same way again.
BWG
jonni Wrote:A bit of learning I had from maintaining access to sensitive venues like this: If you manage to organise access again don't announce it on the internet. Tell joe public that it's still closed. Then keep access managed by ensuring that people who go accompany someone who is a trusted regular.

IMO If you dont do this and its kept open to the public then it will go the same way again.

so basically your take home here is keep fishing restricted to the dominating wobblers of the fraternity, particularly those prevailing in the sport and the joe's be pushed aside .
i understand your deep felt desire to maintain prestine bass venues like mofam which i consider it to be THE prime destination of SA -( maybe past tense with the lack of water).

it is however these forums that developed me into a conservationfisherman and promotes the sport.