Current time: 12-18-2017, 10:33 PM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

2017 Theewaters Classic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a reminder of the upcoming Theewaters Classic in two weeks time.

With the great facilities at Theewaterskloof Dam we are looking forward to catching up with all our fishing buddies.

You can register online on:

https://www.weighmasters.net/showtourdetails?tourid=72&

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Regards
Robert Jacobs
BFSA
With the huge fish 4kg+ coming out last week and and lot less dam for them to hide I think we are going to see some big fish coming out.

2 fish bag on each of two days.

Catch you on the water!
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Just a final reminder of the Theewaters Classic this coming weekend.

With the lekka facilities at Theewaters and the good organising of the event it is going to be a blast. Numbers are climbing quickly

Hopefully another WP record will be caught to give Mr Miller a run for his money.

Increasing number of catches of smallmouth bass is also happening at Theewaters at the moment.
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Navrik Wrote:Just a final reminder of the Theewaters Classic this coming weekend.

With the lekka facilities at Theewaters and the good organising of the event it is going to be a blast. Numbers are climbing quickly

Hopefully another WP record will be caught to give Mr Miller a run for his money.

Increasing number of catches of smallmouth bass is also happening at Theewaters at the moment.

That's not surprising as 90% of the wood cover is high and dry forcing one to fish rocky banks.
I think that it is also prudent to warn competitors that at the current low levels the dam is extremely dangerous with rocky outcrops hidden just below the surface. A number of prop damage incidents have been reported. Be especially careful in the vicinity of Champagne island and the yellow area (upper) water tower.
Did ducks bring in smallie eggs by accident............. :roll:
Good luck to all the competitors and hope you all have complete gearboxes on Monday.
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
BFSA
Bassmar Wrote:I think that it is also prudent to warn competitors that at the current low levels the dam is extremely dangerous with rocky outcrops hidden just below the surface. A number of prop damage incidents have been reported. Be especially careful in the vicinity of Champagne island and the yellow area (upper) water tower.
Thanks for the warning Marek. We will make sure to make it part of the briefing.
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Riprap Wrote:Did ducks bring in smallie eggs by accident............. :roll:
Good luck to all the competitors and hope you all have complete gearboxes on Monday.
Must be those naughty ducks... :eusa_think:

Thanks for the well wishes Clint!
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Riprap Wrote:Did ducks bring in smallie eggs by accident............. :roll:
Theewater use to have smallies years ago... must have been a good spawn.... :eusa_liar:
My second Theewaters Classic has been my most enjoyable one so far.

After fishing with Leon Dryer, one of our long time sponsors last year and having an absolute blast I decided to make contact with Leon and offer him another ride this year. I think it is important to not only receive but give back to our sponsors by supporting their products and services and allow them to share the excitement of bass fishing with us where possible.

My competition weekend started by taking leave on Friday, packing, running a few errants and after a quick stop at a client in Somerset West headed out via the N2 to Theewaterkloof.

With quite a bit of rain and nice cool conditions it was a pleasure to see TWK getting some much needed relief but I don't think it is going to help maybe just stem the rate of drop a bit.

The rest of Friday were dedicated to comp setup and trying to get the boats dry and covered ready for action on Saturday.

After a bit of a restless night with another bit of rain competion day 1 arrived. Absolutely perfect windstill conditions.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Boats were launched, briefing done and after drawing the lowest number we had the priveledge to head out first just after 06:30 keeping Craig's 250 and Pietman's 225 honest for the run to the water tower with my 'rude 90.

The water tower area rewarded my partner with a good fight on the smallest rod on the deck...but during the fight it unfortunately grew a pair of whiskers and ended up not being the required target species...

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Water colour was not very good on the upper area of the dam and by about 09:00 we decided to hit our second spot for the day closer to the dam wall which had much cleaner water.

This turned into the best decision of my competition angling career so far. We were not there long before we were rewarded with a very descent 1.9kg of Largemouth pleasure. Out of her mouth popped the hook with green and black soft stickbait and into the livewell she went.

With the fight being on my 7ft Medium ALX Dreamstick on 10lb Viscious Fluoro I was very happy to see the lady safely in the landing net. Fortunately the fight was in open water, the drag on my PT Tour was set perfectly and the ALX performed like a dream. And by the way those green and black rubber werms came from Ol' Big Mouth just outside Durbanville.

After recovering from the unexpected adrenaline rush I managed to calm down enough to realise it was not job done yet and proceed to work an area about 20m left from where I caught this first one.

Low and behold the next even bigger fish decided she needed a piercing in the corner of the mouth decorated with a green and black worm. With this fat lady pulling the scale eventually at 2.84kg it was a completely different fight. She decided to inspect the underside of my Raker first with me hanging on to my ALX while doing my best to assist my screaming drag with my left thumb. Eventually after what felt like hours she graced us with her presence and Leon scooped her up with one foul swoop of the landing net.

With the area where I caught the fish being all the way to about 20ft and after seeing the bigger fish did not look like she wanted to swim upright we decided to copy Vincent's stunt in Regionals and call it a day before 11:00 (and also to try and preserve these awesome fish)

Then long day of keeping The-O (his new name after this weekend), our trusty weighmaster company for the rest of the day and watching weigh-ins while almost forgetting to breath. Finally the last fish was weighed and Weighmaster.NET confirmed that we had taken the day 1 lead from Pietman and Len in second by 820 grams.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
At this point and after chatting to Len I knew we had our job cut out for us for day 2 as their local knowledge had them on a solid pattern for day 2 and we had a fight on our hands.

After enjoying the double burger Mark at TWK and his team prepared for us and washing it down with a few refreshments from the pub we decided to call it a night.

Day 2 arrrived and after drawing 32 and leaving the gates a bit later than day 1 we headed out to our spot. We were very surprised to see our spot open and quietly thank our respectful co-competitors that knew where we got our fish. We tried our best but by around 10:00 decided our pattern was not repeating and we needed a plan B.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Sadly it was not our day and weighing only 1 dink of 300g by day 2's earlier end of 12:00. Again on the trusty green and black worm...

All that was left was to prep for the prizegiving at 14:00 sharp. We ended in 6th place overall and although I was said that we could not repeat or feat of day 1 I was happy with the result in very tough conditions.

Top honours went to Team Mark & Mark who decided to catch 2 x 3kg specimens on day 2 and left everyone in their wake.

Mark Wegerhoff also took the big fish prize of day 2. Not a bad day at the office to Mark & Mark.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
From a Tafelberg Bassmasters point of view we would really like to thank all of our sponsors. Prizes were handed out all the way to 20th place as well as a lucky draw and a "we should have stayed at home" prize. Standard in every prize was a bag of potatoes thanks to Johan Groenies, a bag of ekstra super heavy plastic bags from Tom from LT Plastic as well a box of export quality yellow peaches from Ian from Vadersgawe. Then my boat partner Leon Dryer made it possible that every angler up to 20th place each got a bottle of wine as well.

Full results on Weighmasters.NET:

https://www.weighmasters.net/getresults?...7&results&
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Lekka report back Nav and thanks a mill bud. Hard luck with day 2 but if this fishing game can teach you one thing then it is hero to zero is the name of the game and the guys that can obviate that definitely have the skills the rest (& most) of us lack.
Well done anyway, a concerted effort nonetheless and big up to Mark2 for another outstanding result and win.
Bring die reen boet............julle is amper in die ***.
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
BFSA
Lovely report back there enjoyed the read, congratulations with your results
Thanks for the kind words Clint & Don. It feels like it has been a while since I have the urge to share a reportback.

Lekka to have my fishing mojo back. I really enjoyed this weekend!

Spot on about the rain there Rip!
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Nice report Nav! :eusa_clap:
[Image: Dreamfish.jpg]
What a great read with good technical detail! Well done on the result and beautiful fish! It just shows how tough Twakkies can be. One day a close to 3Kg monster, the next a 300g dink... I still haven't figured out that place... Probably never will..
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>