Current time: 01-17-2018, 11:20 AM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

Responsible angling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
+-270 fish were transported around Clan today. How many were pulled off nests that already had eggs in them? How many more tomorrow. Guaranteed those eggs were gone by the time the boats were back on the trailers.

But hey, have fun!

Just don't blame the hook and cook brigade for the poor fishing in years to come.

Irresponsible, Irresponsible, Irresponsible!
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
BWG
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Toadee Wrote:+-270 fish were transported around Clan today. How many were pulled off nests that already had eggs in them? How many more tomorrow. Guaranteed those eggs were gone by the time the boats were back on the trailers.

But hey, have fun!

Just don't blame the hook and cook brigade for the poor fishing in years to come.

x2
Comps over the spawn + Hook and cook + Barbel = Clanwilliam collapse (which we are already seeing)
"The power of population is indefinitely greater than the power in the earth to produce subsistence for man." Thomas Malthus as far back as the late 1700's!

Whilst this may appear irresponsible, it is considered the norm by sportsmen and woman to target fish (and other animals) when they are easiest to catch or hunt. Some events are for bragging rights because humans are a competitive bunch and some are for fundraising combined with some fun and of course, competitiveness.......

Many bass anglers are of the opinion that by catching and releasing the fish, they are forgiven or excused from the diminishing resource debate. Joe Handline on the other hand believes the resource is infinite and with faith and spurred on by hunger and needs, will take as much as he can before those okes in the boats take them all. We will never win this debate and which is circular and turbocharged with emotion!

The only way to ensure population stability (and growth meaning replacement of what the dam can sustain during good and bad cycles) is to have a certain percentage of the brooding spawner biomass protected from all utilisation such as strategic MPA's in the ocean and terrestrial no take zones. This will result in the "spill over cloud" effect where fish of all age groups will naturally migrate out of such areas and thus become available to catch.

Here’s the catch and excuse the pun. Bass are exotic, why protect them at all…………
Well, they stimulate the economy and create jobs and as far as I’m concerned, have become naturalised and established in SA and must thus feature in the management and sustainability debates and legislation.

There are a few options if we are concerned about the wellbeing of our bass:

• We must agree to control or even eradicate them where they cause the most damage to sensitive ecosystems.
• Closed seasons should be considered during peak breeding times or as an alternative, productive breeding areas should be closed off for at least 2 lunar cycles to allow some mature fish to breed in peace.
• Part of the huge finances which anglers, sponsors and the industry invest should be invested back into sustainability of the very resource which they rely on.
• Fish breeding stations and programmes which have been mothballed need to be re-visited if we cannot control the utilisation ourselves.

To test the theory of Clan going downhill, we need to establish the age class distribution and the ratios of LM vs. SM and the abundance of other species over time. That will answer many questions as a start.
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Toadee Wrote:+-270 fish were transported around Clan today. How many were pulled off nests that already had eggs in them? How many more tomorrow. Guaranteed those eggs were gone by the time the boats were back on the trailers.

But hey, have fun!

Couldn't have said it better, my own thoughts completely, well said Toadee :eusa_clap:
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span on this earth the hours spent in fishing ~Babylonian Proverb
For what it's worth, I have posted this on here way back but here it is again. One has to understand the fish to be able to make informed decisions:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
BWG
Ok, so with no contrary opinions or viewpoints we're all in agreement then.

Will the Western Cape competitive bass community lead the way in a blanket ban on competitions for September at Clan/Bulshoek and 2nd week of September to 2nd week of October for TWK/KWK?

A complete ban on fishing over the period is not feasible and research has shown that fish that are caught and released immediately show a tendency to return to their nests.
Occasionally I use words I don't fully understand to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
Catch, photo, release?
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
Im just going to leave this here...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U26eteI1iBI[/youtube]
Edit your signature here ... <a href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature">Edit</a>
I think this matter requires a broader perspective, particularly since a challenge has now been issued. I just hope that an Us vs. Them scenario is not created here guys as at the end of the day, we all rely on the same resources.

To broaden this perspective, herewith some threads all dealing with similar issues and which also deal with CPR, seeing as it's been raised:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11318&hilit=catch+photo+release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11318&hilit=catch+photo+release</a><!-- l -->

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11248&hilit=catch+photo+release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11248&hilit=catch+photo+release</a><!-- l -->

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10647&hilit=catch+photo+release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10647&hilit=catch+photo+release</a><!-- l -->

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10185&hilit=catch+photo+release" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10185&hilit=catch+photo+release</a><!-- l -->

There are many more similar threads and a wealth of information, advise and perspectives on this site. The problem remains that there isn't a big enough organisation in SA representing the majority of bass fishermen that has enough voice and clout to tackle this issue head on! If bass were indigenous and threatened, hell man, there could even be an endorsement on your fishing licence wrt conservation issues as suggested in this thread.
Toadee I will speak to the WCBAA Exec and see if can give a slot at our next divisional meeting on 21 Sep so you can air your concerns in person.

Rip is correct we have worked very hard over the last few years to get rid of the us vs them syndrome.

In an ideal world we would not like to fish during spawn but with the countrywide hectic schedule between Junior, Senior local and national it does not leave us with many days open on our calendar. Here in the Western Cape we tend to run out of fishable water as well. Last year we could not even fit in 40+ boats at Kwaggas.

We also have a 5 year cycle so Clan will only see Nationals one year around Aug and interprovs in Oct the next year. Our divisional events at Clan only start at the end of Sep which according to your schedule means spawn is done by the time we get there.
[Image: 20160425%20All%20Sponsors%20Footer.png]
BWG
An invite sounds good.

If sacrifices have to be made I don't see why it always has to be the fish "taking one for the team".
Great stuff you guys, well done. I think communication and transparency are definitely what is required for this sensitive matter.
I fished the Classic the weekend and I did not see fish nesting. Some single fish hunting in the shallow water, but no nests. Did not see any fry either. How do we know what time of the year do they really nest. Late rain and time of water to settle, I believe play a roll. Just asking ? Kwaggaskloofdam were skipped last season and with the low levels Brandvlei also rested.

I saw at the the classic the bags that came out and were surprised how many fish were still caught after the Nationals. No big fish but a lot off small fish. It's not the small fish that I am worried about at this moment, but where are the big fish.

Do they have enough food, did they get smarter or does the cook brigade play a role. I saw with my own two eyes, how day campers caught a 1,6kg smallie 100m from the weight station on a life platanna on Sunday. That was the average smallie sizes in the past at Clan. The other problems that we saw were plenty Carp and 1 barbel.
SMILE, it can change the world around you. Stywe lyne
That's the problem of having dates cast in stone - environmental variations and fluctuations. Tricky one..........