Current time: 12-18-2017, 10:32 PM

Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

Love your fish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not bashing the guys just asking for the love of the green fish we all love and chase.

A big please can we all try support our fish when posing for pictures. This topic has been discussed in length in the States in "Bassmasters" magazine. It can be deadly supporting the weight of large fish by hanging their entire weight my their jaws. They have reported that it can even damage the jaw of our beloved. The big girls coming from the nests now are excessively weighed down and don't have the support of the water they are accustomed to. We want these fatties to be around for years to come and we are the only ones in SA that seem to want that. :eusa_wall:

Support the fish under the belly and rather hold the fish horizontally. Personally I think the fish look bigger this way. :eusa_dance:
BWG
I agree and I am guilty of this :blue-redface: but what I think causes even more damage than a hand is a scale as it a smaller area which can break the jaw. I worst are the hook kind of scale that goes between the gill plates as that can tear the plate. Rather weight you fish in the net or a plastic packet.
The more I learn about fishing the more I realise
how much more I have to learn about fishing.
I agree and another good point Jeremy.
If we love our fish we also won't just toss them back from a height when they are not being kept for points or bragging rights. We also won't stew them in livewells until they are blanched nor remove them from their nests whilst they are doing that basic instinct which ensures future generations. Hell, there are so many things we could be doing better..........
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
Riprap Wrote:We also won't stew them in livewells until they are blanched nor remove them from their nests whilst they are doing that basic instinct

Do you know how many comps are planned over the spawning season. :evil:
LOL....Jeremy both our profile pics is perfect examples of what not to do!
Juba Wrote:LOL....Jeremy both our profile pics is perfect examples of what not to do!

Yes, perfect example lol :blue-redface:
BWG
Jeremy Wrote:
Riprap Wrote:We also won't stew them in livewells until they are blanched nor remove them from their nests whilst they are doing that basic instinct

Do you know how many comps are planned over the spawning season. :evil:

By the very same people that are constantly telling us they are doing everything for the good of the sport. :roll:
Morning guys.

I don't think Griff started this thread so that we can "noose" those whom we think are guilty of not loving our little green fish. The purpose is education so that we give our fish a better chance of survival. It's not like we have State support for our exotic fish which have become established and neither do we have big "lakes" where some fish can spawn in peace. Our waters are limited and the angling fraternity is growing........

As regards fishing spawning fish. Inanda was an example of having a closed season around spawning time but that was then. I would fully support a closed month on each heavily fished dam once the main spawn can accurately be determined. Don't forget a female bass lays her eggs on various nests and over a period of time.
The alternative to this is to "hammer" the fish over PB time but have a restocking programme that is authorized, well managed and effective and financed by the very industry that is crying foul. We need to think out the box a bit.
Okay so I changed my profile pic to show the love for our green friends. :blue-biggrin:
Jeremy Wrote:Okay so I changed my profile pic to show the love for our green friends. :blue-biggrin:

LOL... Ill have to catch something decent to change profile quickly!!
Come Juba get with the program...notice the absence of fish in my profile :blue-biggrin:
Regards
Robert Jacobs
BWG
Lol
All sorted................

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Riprap Wrote:All sorted................

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Eina!
Navrik Wrote:Come Juba get with the program...notice the absence of fish in my profile :blue-biggrin:

That is the only way to not do damage to the fish ... no fish. :blue-rolleyes: :blue-biggrin:
[Image: dbfa278d-72d0-4191-8a1b-dfc8df2ce222_zps5101ae66.jpg]