Hello There, Guest! Register
facebook
Instagram
Eddles

High School Bass fishing Program - Currently being developed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Guys

Some of you might have heard of the new High School bass fishing program we are currently working on.

In short, a high school here in the Western Cape has shown interest to introduce Bass fishing as a official school sport. Now as many of you know, this has not happened before and we were met with various hurdles along the way.

SABAA was approached and welcomed the idea and gave their support to the project, the problem was that nobody had material available to create a sort of curriculum from which the school could work to have it as a official school sport.

We reached out to BASS, but even they were more focused on the competitive side of the sport at High School level and were unable to help regarding "learning Material" - Thus we have to do it ourselves - easier said than done.

Some suggestions were that current Youtube videos be used, but this would defeat the purpose and we wanted it to be a homegrown effort from all our local bass anglers who care about the future and growth of the sport here is SA.

It has been a long and hard year of planning and getting the basics in place of what will be needed and how we are going to accommodate the school project both at school level and for those who wanting to progress competitively in the sport.

With the help of various members we have been able to get the ball rolling, and I believe they deserve credit for what has been done thus far:
Craig Fraser for endorsing the project and gaining SABAA support for it, helping where possible to keep the ball rolling.
Mark Bywater for making time available and sharing his knowledge for both the preview and content.
Malcolm (Plasticman) from Ol' Bigmouth for getting the me in touch with key people and supporting the project directly.
Steven Versveld for not only providing his company's resources, but also their time to edit and finalize the product for the school project - LibraVision is doing everything for us free of charge and on their time!

As you can all see this is not a small project and the aim is to expand it to as many schools as possible throughout the country after the initial introduction at the pilot school,

And this is where I need all of you.........
I want this to be an all inclusive project with every sector of our fishing community contributing to make this a national success.

If you are willing to participate and help us get the new segment of the sport up and running, I am more than happy to share the letter I am drafting for the local SABAA members here on BFSA as well. I will basically need +-10 of your time to make a short video.

I want to include everything - even the KBT guys as the school project will very likely make use of kickboats and bank angling - thus requiring information on that aspect of the sport as well.
If all goes well I want to introduce the school project to the KBT events and have them incorporate that into their fishing program.

Please let me know your thoughts.
I will be sharing the intro video with you via Dropbox.
All I ask is not to share it on social media at this stage, as we want the school to be the first to share it and introduce their new sport.

Looking forward to hear from you guys, and I hope I can get you all involved

Jacques
BWG
Well done to all the role players in this awesome initiative!
Regards
Robert Jacobs
Navrik Wrote:Well done to all the role players in this awesome initiative!
Robert - how can I share the link with BFSA members, without it going public.
Sorry visitors, I want to keep this "inhouse" for now.....
I m not sure that is possible. We would have to create a VIP section
Jacq Wrote:Hi Guys

Some of you might have heard of the new High School bass fishing program we are currently working on.

In short, a high school here in the Western Cape has shown interest to introduce Bass fishing as a official school sport. Now as many of you know, this has not happened before and we were met with various hurdles along the way.

SABAA was approached and welcomed the idea and gave their support to the project, the problem was that nobody had material available to create a sort of curriculum from which the school could work to have it as a official school sport.

We reached out to BASS, but even they were more focused on the competitive side of the sport at High School level and were unable to help regarding "learning Material" - Thus we have to do it ourselves - easier said than done.

Some suggestions were that current Youtube videos be used, but this would defeat the purpose and we wanted it to be a homegrown effort from all our local bass anglers who care about the future and growth of the sport here is SA.

It has been a long and hard year of planning and getting the basics in place of what will be needed and how we are going to accommodate the school project both at school level and for those who wanting to progress competitively in the sport.

With the help of various members we have been able to get the ball rolling, and I believe they deserve credit for what has been done thus far:
Craig Fraser for endorsing the project and gaining SABAA support for it, helping where possible to keep the ball rolling.
Mark Bywater for making time available and sharing his knowledge for both the preview and content.
Malcolm (Plasticman) from Ol' Bigmouth for getting the me in touch with key people and supporting the project directly.
Steven Versveld for not only providing his company's resources, but also their time to edit and finalize the product for the school project - LibraVision is doing everything for us free of charge and on their time!

As you can all see this is not a small project and the aim is to expand it to as many schools as possible throughout the country after the initial introduction at the pilot school,

And this is where I need all of you.........
I want this to be an all inclusive project with every sector of our fishing community contributing to make this a national success.

If you are willing to participate and help us get the new segment of the sport up and running, I am more than happy to share the letter I am drafting for the local SABAA members here on BFSA as well. I will basically need +-10 of your time to make a short video.

I want to include everything - even the KBT guys as the school project will very likely make use of kickboats and bank angling - thus requiring information on that aspect of the sport as well.
If all goes well I want to introduce the school project to the KBT events and have them incorporate that into their fishing program.

Please let me know your thoughts.
I will be sharing the intro video with you via Dropbox.
All I ask is not to share it on social media at this stage, as we want the school to be the first to share it and introduce their new sport.

Looking forward to hear from you guys, and I hope I can get you all involved

Jacques

Jacques,

Well done to you guys.

This is really awesome!!
andydejager Wrote:Jacques,

Well done to you guys.

This is really awesome!!
Thx Andy, we just got it started, but the ultimate success will depend on the participation of our anglers.
BWG
Great stuff, highly commendable and well done.
Even if you share it via dropbox with selected people, what's to stop them making it public on shared platforms!
Are you just looking for opinions on the draft intro vid or submissions towards a final version?
[Image: big_fish_eat_little_fish.jpg]
BIG FISH EAT LITTLE FISH....
I hear what you say regarding the sharing, the idea is basically for the anglers to see what we are doing and what they will be contributing to. I think that maybe sharing the link via PM might be an option. I know that the anglers would respect the request, just don't want the link running publicly and being posted before the school could even post the link and intro video

What we need is contribution towards the final product - content pertaining to rods, reels, fishing techniques, lures etc.... This will be the body of the video presentations and reference guide for them to fall back on if needed.
This is the letter I am sending out for circulation among our anglers:

Quote:Hi Guys
As you all know the school project is steadily going forward and the preview has been done for the launch of the program.

The time has however come for me to ask each of you for your participation and input.
What we are aiming to have is a compilation video covering everything a new school junior might need to know to get involved in the sport.

Steven Versveld is doing phenomenal work for the program through his company. You can clearly see the hours put into this – the video is about 10min, please take the time and look at what is being done. Here is a link to the preview:

What we need from you is +-10min of your time.
We need video material of your fishing techniques, rods, reels, plastic baits and lures.

Please don’t direct me to youtube, we want to keep it local and personal.
I know we also have a wealth of locally printed media, the problem is getting it on video and conveying the message from you, our experienced bass anglers.

All we ask is for each of you to grab a topic you are most comfortable with and make a short GoPro video about that specific fishing technique/lure/bait.
This can be done in your own time sitting on your boat on the water on in your own back yard - whatever makes you the most comfortable.

Don’t’ worry about editing – I am sure Steven will have that covered. (As you can clearly see from the Intro)

Please guys, let’s make this a wow project and it will literally take you about 10minutes.

I attach a very broad – and most likely incomplete list – for you to look through and see what we need.
You are always more than welcome to add to this, or even better, make more than one!

Thx in advance for those willing to help.

Regards
Jacques

Pick one you are most comfortable with – don’t get caught by the grouping – for example Crankbaits you can choose to do square-bills. The list may be oversimplified, but I am sure you know what I mean.
• Fishing Rods
• Fishing Reels
• Fishing Line
• Most commonly used knots
• Casting techniques
• Fishing Techniques - what is a mojo, weightless, texas etc...
• Sort plastics - various types, where to use, colour choices, how to rig
• Hard Baits - Various types, where and when to use, colour choices etc. (pick a type you are most comfortable with)
• Structure & Cover – What and why is it important
• Habitat - areas to generally look for either Smallies and/or Largies
• Weather and Seasonal influences
• Code of Ethics for Anglers - What is considered good sportsmanship and what to expect once entering a competitive environment – How to conduct yourself on the water.
Jacq - ask Jim or maybe he will answer if that DVD I did for the pay it forward campaign was worth sharing for such a cause??

See: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10604&p=129445#p129445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10604&p=129445#p129445</a><!-- l -->
Jacq, boet I am blown away and flabbergasted with the quality and info on that vid! I recognize some of the pics as both my boys were and one still is involved with Jnr SABAA angling and quite frankly I am at a loss for words in appreciation of what you guys are doing here. Brilliant is an understatement and I reckon it's perfect for marketing right now and synchronizes perfectly with the anticipated development of the sport to all young South Africans.

I take my hat off to you and the team but I'm balding and freezing my backside off so it's back on but my point is made. Have ticked this thread for notifications to follow the best and most exciting post on this site when I have more time. :eusa_dance:
BWG
It's a great idea and I wish you all the best! I would love to see the video.
Riprap Wrote:Jacq, boet I am blown away and flabbergasted with the quality and info on that vid! I recognize some of the pics as both my boys were and one still is involved with Jnr SABAA angling and quite frankly I am at a loss for words in appreciation of what you guys are doing here. Brilliant is an understatement and I reckon it's perfect for marketing right now and synchronizes perfectly with the anticipated development of the sport to all young South Africans.

I take my hat off to you and the team but I'm balding and freezing my backside off so it's back on but my point is made. Have ticked this thread for notifications to follow the best and most exciting post on this site when I have more time. :eusa_dance:

Thx Riprap - Now if I can only get the anglers enthusiastic to participate and make me a short 10min video of their favorite topic.
I should have the video out at the school by end of next week, but hope that before then people would have indicated their participation and started sending in their videos.
Riprap Wrote:Jacq - ask Jim or maybe he will answer if that DVD I did for the pay it forward campaign was worth sharing for such a cause??

See: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bassfishing.co.za/bassingnews/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10604&p=129445#p129445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10604&p=129445#p129445</a><!-- l -->

Rippy, that video you did is certainly worth it for this cause that Jacque is doing. Perhaps send him a copy and he can select/use it all for the campaign?

PS: I have seen a sneak preview of the video Steve and Jacque are putting together... it will make anyone want to start fishing.

Jacque, I wish I was in CT to help you with this
Thx Martin, Steven and his crew are true masters, was in studio when they filmed the juniors - the patience they displayed and guidance given while filming was phenomenal - end result even more so!

You can definitely still help!
Please make a short video of a fishing technique/lure/bait you like - upload it to a dropbox and Steven can grab it from there.
I really want everyone to participate and be part of the bigger picture!